SailNet Community - View Single Post - in mast furling issues?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: in mast furling issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfalk View Post
I've seen stuff about vertical battens.. Does this help shape much? Seems most Benes I see have the furling so not sure I'll have much choice but mostly wanted to make sure it wasn't a mechanical disaster on regular basis. Good tips on learning how to tweak it from people who know.. and the UV protection- thanks
Setting aside reliability of the in-mast furling, maybe you should ask yourself what you plan to do with the boat. Are you going to cruise, race or cruise but like the thought of being able to race every now and then.

The standard (Oceanis) 393 & 411 are cruising boats. The original owners could have given them an added edge by ordering the boat with options like a slab/battened main and fin keel. They're out there and easy to find.

If you get a standard 393 or 411 and you feel the need to get every ounce of speed out of it, replace the main with one that has verticle battens and replace the prop that has folding/feathering blades.

If you are looking for a family cruiser than get what you can afford and enjoy it for what it is. My OEM main came with a UV coating/cover on that portion (both sides) of the sail that is always exposed and it is still in great shape. All the 393/411's I looked at on YatchWorld seem to have one too.

Anybody that cruises on a regular basis will tell you that the wind rarely favors you and you will often motor more than sail. So that extra half-knot of speed you might get from a conventional main is really wasted.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook