SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Singled Handed & No Watch at Achor
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Singled Handed & No Watch at Achor

Quote:
** Try to make it to your next (planed route) stop with a suitable anchoring location.
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but just in case, I would change this to "Try to make it to the next safe spot with a suitable anchoring location."

Coming as the second bullet under don't anchor in shipping lanes, I'm assuming this was meant as an alternative. If you are feeling the need to stop for a while and anchor up to get some rest, I would say do so in the closest available safe location, rather then looking at your planned route.

As many here will say, schedules kill more sailors then anything else. If your tired and want / need to stop but your route has you pushing on through the night to get to your next location, but you can safely anchor close by for the night, go ahead and stop and just be late on your schedule.

Of course this has to be balanced with weather, time of day, entrance conditions etc, but if your feeling the need to stop and can do so safely sooner, even if its a bit out of the way, do it. Being to tired and pushing to meet a plan is likely one of the major contributing factors in major accidents in sailing.

This is true whether your single handing or sailing with a crew.

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 10-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook