SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Eh, we're thread drifting but sometimes a wife isn't crew, she's a passenger. Depends on your wife(or husband if you're a female sailor). And your 13 year old daughter better be Laura Dekker if you really expect her to crew.

I can totally understand why people ditch floating boats though. I wouldn't want to experience this in storm conditions:
There are many many similar size yachts and even larger yachts circumnavigating the world at any one time with only a family aboard.

I once sailed with a man whom owned an 85 foot yacht and had sailed the world for 20 years with his wife and 3 kids whom were between 2 and 10 years old when his journey started. I was aboard during one storm in the Tasman ses where we had sustained winds of over 80 knots for two days and seas of over 60 feet. The family was fine and would have been fine without me or the other crew aboard. After talking to this person 20 years after this storm, I asked what was the worst storm you had been in- he said it was that one. Most people sail years and never have winds more than sustained 40 knots.

For the most part, cruising sailing is pretty easy, and a 13 year old should have no problem handling all the task involved if properly instructed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook