SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
I rode it out at anchor in the Merrimac River, Mass about four miles upriver from the river mouth. Had one huge anchor set in ten feet of water with 150' of rode in sand, plenty of chafing gear. Got a little nerve wracking on the outgoing tide as the wind was in opposition, caused me to sail around a bit and worried that I'd pull out the huge danforth I had set. Boat was a secure haven down below, fireplace burning (insulated to the waterline), books and internet. Never saw more than 65knots, but never want to experieince more either. Interesting what a difference insulation makes-muffles the sound a lot.

Aboard now, still at anchor and enjoying the calm.
The idea of staying "cozy" during a crazy 65 knot blow is amazing. I've been on my boat in the slip in 52 knots. I couldn't relax...even in the slip! I would have been a mess at anchor.

Glad it all went well for you JP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook