SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Chef,

I'll take the bait.....

--Those of you who rode this out on your boats understand maybe what I am saying. This is not meant as disrespect or any slight to others how they handled this storm ( someone on SN will inevitably twist my meaning or words) --

As in real seamen ride out the storm, lesser seamen seek safety of a shore house? But then, some people think it's nuts to stay on the boat to adjust the lines, or to just get the experience, in a hurricane (or bad tropical storm).

Then there are these two statements:

---In my early 20s I had the fortunate experience to cross the Atlantic twice on large Baltics. One was uneventfull. One was in a storm similar with 40 ft waves and 65 plus winds. This before GPS and weather fax. I was very frightened and though I was a goner. It was a very sobering experience which has affected me through my life concerning safety on my boat for sure. I was very young then and thought I was indestructible.

----In spite of sailing for 40 years I feel I m always learning and learning about myself, you are the sum total of your experiences after all. I will look at my boat differently, look at storms with new experience of touching them, and FEELING the power of the weather.

In the first case, it seems you had already experience the power of weather, but in second case, it sounded like a new experience?

And....

----There is no way to understand what it's like sitting behind the computer protected. (Not meant as a dig, just saying)

It sure sounds like a dig, just saying.

Glad that you came out well, I hope the same for all the other boaters, and for those people behind computers on shore as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook