SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Dave the worst we were ever out in was Gale force 9. Me and my friends had chartered a 1993 C&C 34 plus, we were in for quite a ride. We picked her up in Vancouver and sailed her across to the gulf islands, the first few days were great. On the morning that we were to take here back, I noticed all of the other boats were leaving early at 5:00 in the morning a little unusual. Then I thought I would put the weather on the forcast was for gale force 7 winds. I woke the captain and let him know what was going on, he said it would be a good sail across the straight and went back to bed for another hour or so. To say the least we were out in 9 to 15 foot waves for the rest or the day, when the wind hit 46 konts we knew we were in for a long day gale force 9. By the end of the day we limped in with a shreaded jib and a new appreciation for land. Every boat we saw that day had sail damage of some sort. I learned a lot that day, trust my own heart and never sail with a freind with less knowledge. In the end it took $300.00 some dollars each to fix the jib. But I have great video of the storm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook