SailNet Community - View Single Post - Medicine at Sea advice
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Medicine at Sea advice

I would not ignore non-injuries at sea that require care. We have had no significant injuries in almost 30,000 miles offshore but some problems with infections and skin rashes. Had an infected boil that got larger than a golf ball and eventually required treatment in two different parts of French Polynesia and Fiji over more than five months. We did not an antibiotic that was really good for skin infections. Needed to add Keflex to the kit in addition to Cipro. My wife seems to have developed an allergic reaction to fish (and no we have not been eating reef fish, only mahi-mahi offshore and she has even had a reaction to canned salmon. Have to get that checked out while we are in South Africa. At sea, these things can be quite debilitating. With the boil I was only comfortable standing up, even lying down was not good. Try that when you are on a 1500 mile passage.