SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Yorktown VA, our pier is in a very nicely protected cove on the Sarah Creek. Most of the owners had secured their boats Friday night, then again Saturday and we spent part of Sunday checking for problems.
I arrived Friday night and waved goodbye to everyone as it was too dark to work. Slept well with a light rocking. Saturday was spent doubling the lines and brailing the jib and mainsl, Sisu has an external furling main. Stored the dinghy in the dinghy racks, took lots of pictures of everyone's boats and the owners who came back to recheck their lines.

Sandy started wind during the afternoon and rain about 6:30pm. Slept very well for about 2 hours at a time, we were gently rocking with an occasional blast rolling her to port about 10 degrees. Boo kept going down in the bilge to play then jumping up on the V-berth to let me know there was water in the bilge, not very sleep inducing.

Sunday morning the rain and wind were heavy; wind about 30 kts with gusts to 40+kts, in our little cove. Out on the York River it was nasty. Took high tide pics at 9am. A couple of boat owners came down to check their lines. Some surprise awaited them, the fixed docks were under about 8+inches of water.

Sunday night I helped set up a Red Cross shelter in Maryland for any evacuees from the area, including the Annapolis area.

Monday was fine around home, then Sandy said hello. As the rain and wind increased I knew Sisu was safe. Sandy came in much higher in NJ, saving most of DC and south from the worse.
Monday night I helped staff the shelter overnight. Most of the storm was similar to Irene, but cold - real cold.
Tuesday, friends reported Sisu fine and no problems. Their boat took on a little water, so I expect Sisu swallowed a lot more and spit it out.

Boo and I head down Friday night to release her from the web of lines she is riding in.