SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training and Developing Crew
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Training and Developing Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
.....My crew is very intelligent.......
I had to think about this one for a bit. Other than needing a basic level of cognition, I don't think one's higher level of intelligence has much to do with becoming a good sailor. Being a quick study might bring you up the curve faster, but that's not always a measure of absolute intelligence. Some very smart people take longer for things to make sense.

I think these are traits that make for a good student, but certainly don't have to be world class:
  • Comfortable on the water (less anxiety allows for clearing thinking)
  • Can think well under pressure
  • Fight or flight?.... chooses fight (not literally, just willing to take control and not freeze)
  • Situational awareness (can visualize things they can't see such as wind and location on a chart)
  • Athleticism (at least a basic hand-eye coordination. A klutz doesn't do well)

I think you can train through a few of these, but its harder.

Remember, the original sailors on square riggers, were the bottom of society and fully uneducated and they sailed sailed across oceans. How hard could this be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook