SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
BRIDGEWATER – The captain of the Picton Castle says he cannot understand why The Bounty was at sea when a massive hurricane was forecast to hit..... .....He said there was very good information on the storm well in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Man, when the captain of the Picton Castle criticizes your seamanship, that's GOTTA hurt.
I still don't feel that I know what information the captain of Bounty had on hand. While many of you live in the city and have a constant flow of information, I rely on a tiny battery operated weather radio when away from home.

The captain of the Picton Castle was in Canada (Nova Scotia). I don't know how it works, but I assume in Canada they rely on the Canadian model for their weather information, just as our services rely on our model. The Canadian model was the first model out there to have what became Sandy coming up to the mid-Atlantic US coast. By 10/21/12 the Canadian model already had two runs showing the storm just off our coast. The ECMWF picked up on it next. So it may have been old news in Nova Scotia, but the GFS only began to pick up on it Wed in the ensembles, some of which still had the out to sea track.

I checked back and found that the first warning issued by the NHC for the CONUS was Thursday morning at 11 AM, when they issued a tropical storm warning for SE Florida. On Wed. they had issued a tropical storm watch for the same area.

I won't hold my breath waiting for crew interviews. Lawyers generally advise not to make statements to anyone, it could muddy the waters later if it comes to legal proceedings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook