SailNet Community - View Single Post - Medicine at Sea advice
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Medicine at Sea advice

As an EMT, you will take for granted a lot of stuff that the layman won't comprehend. That's why I encourage you to keep it simple. First aid for daysailing, coastal cruising, and offshore becomes increasingly complex and trying to teach your audience too much will just lose them.
All of the advice above is good, but you've got to limit your discussion- maybe just a review of basic first aid kit essentials, recommending a good book and/or course, and how to summon emergency help- that would cover an hour presentation in itself.
Also, please don't take my lead-in to my first post as a "shut-out" to discussion or dissent. I just have had enough experience to know what you can and can't do out on the water. Even if you know what you're doing, dealing with emergencies on a boat are different from dealing with them in an emergency room with a million $ of drugs and equipment at your disposal, or even on shore where you can at least depend on a stable platform, electricity, heat and light, clean water, and access to supplies.

Last edited by msmith10; 10-31-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook