SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Jeanneau SF 3200 / Salona 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Amazing vid, Paulo!

I have been a read-only for month, but now I REALLY need to know more abour the SF36. Is it announced yet, are there rumours? I am interested in the Salona 35s, so maybe I should wait for the SF...
Hi, and welcome

Yes it is known that the boat is going to be made. I would hope than on the Paris boat show we should know more even if it is improbable the boat will be presented there.

But I think you are mistaken. That boat is not going to be (or expected to be) in the same class as the Salona 35. The Salona 35 is a performance cruiser that is on the same class of the Dufour 36 performance, the Dehler 35, Comet 35, First 35, Elan 350 and many others.

They are slightly more expensive boats than what we call mass production cruisers have good interiors for cruising are more stiff and fast than those cruisers, have more sail area and have all the rigging and equipment that allows a better control of the sail shape. They are boats pointed to the cruiser that have fun sailing and that occasionally does club racing. The guys that have old boats or even more fat cruisers like to call then racing boats but they are really not.

Boats like the SF 3200 are much more Spartan in what regards interior, are lighter and more expensive and are pointed to guys that like racing and do occasional cruising. Of course one can really enjoy just cruising in a very fast boat and don’t use it for racing, but then it has to do that in a more Spartan way, and I mean not only the interior, but tankage as well. These boats are at half way between a pure racing boat, like the Farr 400 and a cruising boat.

The SF 3200 is on the same class of boats (and talking about 35ft) like the J111, the JPK 1010 and the Archambault 35. For them all the Archambault is the one that has a better cruising interior….but as I have said, it is not only a lot smaller than the Salona, as it is more Spartan with a lot less tankage and much more expensive. Of course, you can also order a Salona 35 in IBC specification, that will be a lot more expensive and slightly faster than a Salona 35 with a performance pack but I think that will only make sense if you will do a lot of serious IRC racing.

Just to see what we are talking about, a movie with the SF 3200, with the Salona 35 and with the Comet 35. Look at the differences in the interior.

Last edited by PCP; 10-31-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook