SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

kotyara is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

The more I read about Farymann engines, the more I realize that it would have to be scrapped. Apparently, it wasn't that good to begin with, and the parts are not produced any more, so it would be an uphill battle. The price already reflects that fact, so it won't go down (it's already pretty damn low, considering the condition of the boat).

At this point I think I'll go for the Cal and use the outboard to start with (I won't go far in the next few months anyway That would give me time to properly research and build an electric drive system, which should suffice for my purposes and still be much cheaper than a new diesel. I might even keep the outboard as a backup! The old diesel might even provide some parts for that, like a shaft coupling.

As for starting with a dinghy, my first try at sailing was on a 14' dinghy, and I didn't much like it. Just couldn't get over the need to always watch the boat so that it wouldn't capsize. Besides, I was led to believe that dinghy sailing skills are not directly transferable to the keel boats...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook