SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Darwin awards
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Yes, of course you are correct but hurricanes move slowly enough, that if Sandy had suddenly turned south, and given me a different scenario, I still would have had plenty of time to simply walk away, and rent a hotel inland.

It's not a tornado.

And go where? Typically roads get blocked off, or are impassable with traffic a day or more before a storm gets to you, in some cases days before. At which time it may be too late to do anything but stay where you are.

If as you suggest where you were wouldn't be that bad, then what do you need to stay for? If it does come for you, then there is nothing you can do anyway. Either way either you being on the boat serves no purpose, but potentially puts your life in danger.

So why would you stay? What possible gain is there from being out there? I can't see any, but I have had to put my life in danger to save people like you who thought they should be there... Just once I would like have a good justification for doing so, other than it was my job to save people who were too stupid to save themselves.