SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah... Well... Actually not. They abandoned ship 90 miles southeast of Hatteras. The NDBC in the vicinity (34.561 N 72.631 W) was reporting 30.5' waves and NNE winds gusting at 64 knots.

We spent some time aboard that ship awhile back and it was a disaster. Planks and frames were rotted, seams were weeping, the timbers around all of the windows in the stern castle were rotted enough that I could push a knife-blade in to the hilt, etc. When I commented on this to the kid that was the watch captain he acknowledge all of the problems but said they didn't have the money to make all of the repairs needed and so focused on the engine, generator and pumps and "..never sail in a following sea".

My daughter wanted to spend a season sailing/studying aboard but we prohibited it. (Instead she and 9 other kids spent the season sailing a 52' Beneteau from St. Martin to Trini with two teacher/instructors).

Jeeze I hope they find all of the kids. Some are missing as I write.

The following was taken during our visit aboard:
The Bold text above is really disturbing. Just how seaworthy is Bounty when she set sail last week. The boat was built as a PROP, just wonder if the construction of her hull is good enough for the sea.

Like many tragedies at seas, I don't like to point finger since I was not there. I respect those who made the decision and lost their lives, I hope they have a safe journey to Heaven.

For all us, one wishes that we all learn from each one of the tragedies especially at the time when we plan our next voyage. May be we all set sail by ourselves alone, sail our own boat, and throw away the SPOT and EPRIB, so others don't have to risk their lives to recuse us. So no live is lost except ours and no heated discussion on Sailnet.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook