SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

kotyara is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Whoever told you that didn't know much about sailing.

Learning to sail is in large part learning to integrate ALL the cues available. If you can master sailing a flippy little dinghy you'll be in a far better position to sail a ballasted boat, particularly when you get caught in nasty weather (and you WILL get caught in nasty weather, sooner or later). But, it's your life. Just do us all a favor and don't get a boat-load of friends and/or kids hurt or killed when you find out how valuable it would have been to have developed your sailing skills on a smaller boat.
I don't doubt dinghy sailing experience would be advantageous, I just don't think it would be the only way to learn. I would think it would be more dangerous to take out a "flippy little boat" on the SF Bay, especially in bad weather, than a sturdy keel boat. Maybe it would've been different on a lake.

Not sure why this point of view irritated you, but if it makes you feel better, I did state that I plan to single-hand most of the time. I also intend to take plenty of lessons and stay in protected waters until I'm confident in my sailing abilities, as well as take every safety precaution possible. If that seems reckless to you, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook