SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Sabre,

It wasnt meant condescending and I know you didnt take it that way. I feel the experience I got in a somewhat controlled environement as I was in a slip ( although I was prepared to anchor if the slip got dangerous) will help me in terms of chafe gear and what to expect when I go cruising eventually. The preparation and adjusting of lines throughout, even to the gear I wear when I went on deck is something I have to evaluatue again. At least here I got a taste of it, it would be far different anchored behind an island in the Abacos when something similar with winds this blew up.

Plus I got to help at my club with some of the other sailors keep the boats still docked safe. We have a tight knit club and all own it as well as stick together when stuff like this happens.

Was a frightening experience in a way, and I didnt have to deal with what the people north of Cape May to LI had to deal with in terms of surge.

BTW since I know you know Ocean City well, my friends said the eye passed over them. Bay met the ocean 4 ft deep in the island. The house I had lived in on Seaspray Rd for 18 years is heavily damaged from the wind as well as the tidal surge and flooding from the back bay. I feel for my friends there and have offered refuge here if they need to.
Gpnna take some generators down to them on Friday as power wont be on for weeks in OC.

Dave

I have been out in crap like that before, but this was entirely different, feeling the wind at that sustained speed and seeing what it did was amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook