View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Good judgement is a necessary attribute for a good skipper of a boat. An intelligent person, even one who makes a mistake learns from his mistake. Admitting a mistake is a sign of intelligence and judgement. A person with poor judgement should sell their boat now and never consider advising anybody on anything nautical lest they cause death. This really is a matter of life and death so one has to be careful who they listen to.

I simply object to anybody telling how they "rode out the storm aboard their boat" because it gives others the false impression that that is a reasonable course of action.
Whoa, hold on sport. I never advised anyone to "ride it out" on their boat. I cannot objectively assess someone else's boat, skill, experience or confidence level. I would never advise anyone to hold fast or flee.

I may tell my own story of how I stayed on my boat, but I don't tell anyone what they should do, or even imply that other people can or should follow my example.

Really though, your point of view is rather extreme. I have a friend in the area who sold all of his property and possessions, and bought a Halberg-Rassy 53. He is cruising with his wife and two young children. They rode out the storm at anchor. The boat is their home.

Is he a fool? Not worthy of rescue? Should he have rented a slip and fled for a hotel, far inland? Did he put his family at an unacceptable level of risk?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook