SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 10-31-2012 Thread Starter
kotyara

re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Although I have always liked the Cal, a re-power alone may end up costing more than a whole boat with a working motor. The cost to the prior owner to re-power my boat was twice the asking price of the boat you are looking at. My boat is about the same size and age and came originally with a A4 or Ferrymann diesel. For comparison here is one in my area that has been on the marked for a while, with a working diesel,
[link removed] Cal 2-27 Sailboat,
If you go with the outboard you will come out ahead for a time, but if the long term plan is to work out some type of inboard power you might be in for a pretty big total investment compared to a ready to go boat. That may not be a bad thing if you have the $, love the boat, and have the time and skill to get it done.
I actually looked at that boat a while ago, but I figured it would be too much hassle to get it transported to SF. Now that I've looked into parts availability for Farymanns, I'm not so sure it's such a good deal.

I realize it'll cost a sizable chunk of money to convert to electric, but I figured it'll be a fun project and would cost a lot less if I do some of the non-specialized work myself and use components or kits, rather than turn-key systems. I'm estimating around $5K to do the conversion over the next year or two, which would still be about half the cost of a diesel repower. Add to that a pair of good ST winches, and the dollars start to make a lot more sense. The outboard would be just the means to still be sailing in good weather while I'm doing all that.

Cheers,
Alex.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome