SailNet Community - View Single Post - bottom painting question
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road
Re: bottom painting question

I am just finishing a complete renovation of a 19 footer with a full keel. Used Brightsides blue for the topsides (side of boat above waterline ) and really liked the paint. Coverage was good. I used a foam roller only, no brushing after rolling. (tipping??) Was scared to death at 1st cuz' the roller put a zillion bubbles in the paint. Every one of them popped withing 5 minutes and I have a nice finish. (Air temp was about 78F) Note, the roller does leave some "Orange Peel" in the finish, which I actually like. Did not thin paint, went straight from the can to roller tray. If you have a mistake on a coat, you can wet sand the next day with 320 and cover any Uh-Ohs with another coat. I did the entire hull with two quarts and laid down 4 coats. I did one coat per day allowing about 18 hrs of dry time in case I had to sand. I used a white foam roller I bought at Home Depot, can't recall the brand...sorry...Was very smooth, white in color, about the size of a ball park hot dog I guess. Did use 2 primer coats since my hull was in rough shape from previous owner using a disc grinder to strip paint. Had to fill a ton of imperfections. Do anything to help ya' Bruce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook