SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello All, New SailBoat Owner & Smiling (1st day)
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Hello All, New SailBoat Owner & Smiling (1st day)

Totay was Christmas day for a 64 YO, U. S. Army (ret.), aviation warrant officer. 23 years active duty. I'd like to say, today beat flying but that's not the case (to many fond memories).

Yesterday, I call a local sailing training facility and decided to take their 3 day course, also ASA test. I really need this, have not sailed since 83 and insurance reasons too.

Back to the boat, it's a oldee but good'ee (1970 Islander 37, MS) at least.. I hope so. I was told fby the former owner that it needs some smaller items, he had already spent the big bucks (20K) already. I have to smile to myself, I could hardly wait to see the boat come in my long lane and unloaded. I could (in away) not wait until the truck had it unloaded and put my ladder up and check it over inside (open my gift).

So, from here, I will make a list and fix the major items 1st -- Rudder busted, with 2 feet off of the end. I need to pull it and repair the damage or build a new one, depends on rudder condition. Also, 4 x 4 hole in stern, high on transom, starboard side (nothing major).

The previous owner told me about these items -- battery (Bat. Pro Marine 1230) charger sys. not charging, auto-pilot inop. for years, knot meter inop., adler/ barbour sys. serviced but not working correctly, control cables sloopy at cabin station, ok at stern station, mast lighting elect. messed up. Some of the cusions need replaced, old staining at all 6 windows. The windows were resealed but old damage to the wood remains and looks bad in a couple areas. The I37 had Termites, they did some damage underneath the cold box. The old owner thought they were there at one time but gone now, this happened years ago & prior to his ownership. Last item, stantion fittings at bow were messed up when it pull free from it's morring in a storm, never got the pull story.

So, I have some work to do and will start a log and pics. and post them form time to time as I make progress. I'm shopping around for electonics, so drop me a line if you know some stuff I'd be interested in. I need to buy most of my items in good used (serviceable) & working condition.

So, this dummy is Still Smiling on Xmas day.. 31 Oct., 2012. Also on the night of Howlloween Night, now that has to mean something... scary $$ I bet. Most likely connected with spendng lots of my retirement money on a 42 year old boat... that's the price of life I picked it and that's fine too.

Avery
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook