SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

roller plotter or parallel rulers?

18K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  groggy 
#1 · (Edited)
real men use parallel rulers! or are roller plotters for folks who walk upright?

Sorry for the stupid title, but no-one was responding to the original one.

I'm taking a bareboat class in the near future, and while it's not required, students are encouraged to bring whatever manual navigation tools they have. I think they teach using parallel rulers and dividers.

I eventually hope to take the USGC OUPV/Captain's License test when I get sufficient sea time and the local school recommends the WEEMS & PLATH Parallel Rolling Plotter Model # 106799 Manuf. # 120

Would it be jumping the gun to get the rolling plotter now and learn it in the bareboat class, or should I just show up and see what they have on hand?

It's only $25 anyway, but if thats the tool that is used in the next step of my education it would be a nice thing to have some instruction on.

Any opinions?

:confused:

See less See more
#31 ·
Even when I had a largish chart table didn't find parallel rules or roller plotters to be worth a damn in real life use. The parallel rules would slip and not transfer the angle properly and the roller plotter would wander off course.

Back when I was full time cruising with a Sextant and Timex I used an aircraft plotter. https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/forever-sectional-plotter-by-sporty-s.html Easy to use with one hand and keep on course. That and a one handed divider were all I needed for DR'ing my way around SoPac https://www.amazon.com/WEEMS-PLATH-Marine-Navigation-Divider/dp/B000IMT0SI One handed use is nearly a necessity in real life boat navigation. One hand for the boat and the other to do what needs done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.