SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Darwin awards
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Quote:
I propose we give the sailing Darwin Awards to everybody who stayed on their boats thru Sandy ( I mean those in Sandy's zone of damage). If you stay aboard, nobody thinks you are brave, we think you're a moron. You endanger your life, you endanger any rescuers and you make sailors in general look foolish- Frogwatch
Didnt take long for the judgement police of SN to voice their opinions. Whos annointed you god to judge. Great commentary from an internet jockey sitting behind a computer. You have no right to use the word "we" amd you certainly dont speak for all sailors.

Quote:
Dismissing those who make mistakes as being unworthy is imho the mark of the unworthy. Its a nasty attitude indeed.=tdw
I agree wholeheartedly with the exception that I dont feel I made a mistake and monitored the situation carefully.

I stayed on my boat in my slip and was in no immediate danger other than their were high winds. I watched the storm carefully and had the oppertunity to step off at any time. The storm passed north of my area sparing us the tidal surge, but not the wind and rain. In addition I helped others out during the storm who had boats in our club. The decision to stay with my boat and not have it wrecked and battered needlessly was mine. I am sure bubblehead, SV Auspicious, Joethecobbler and others who were south of the landfall were prudent in knowing what we were doing. There were no evacuations in our area. Had we been in the north targhet zone at any time I would have just stayed and slept in our clubhouse and not on the boat.

Mr Frog...your sweeping statement has no merit, is not funny and shoud be dismissed as the musings of someone who obvious and lack of ability or experience to understand the difference between a difficult situation from what is a dangerous situation and then make a catchall sweeping all inclusive statement.

In my case, and others on the Chesapeake where others did stay on our boats it was a decision which was fluid and could be changed easily had things turned for the worse. I would never suggest, nor advise someone who did not feel or did not have the ability or exp[erience to stay on a boat even in the conditions we faced. That is a personal choice according to experience and situation. I for one learned a few valuable lessons staying on my boat, which if I ever get forced into a similar situation while cruising in the future may help me invaluably. I beleive in safety first and in no way did I fee unsafe.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-01-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook