SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on Buying Mulit Unit vs Separate Items
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on Buying Mulit Unit vs Separate Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Today, I talked with a boat capt. that's been in the business for 30 + years and he seemed very knowledgeable. He said, that he perfers to Not Buy a Multi Unit. You can have a failure and lose the whole system. He has seen the whole system do a complete shut down (nothing works). I can see this happening, if the system shares one brain box and it fails internally, just like a computer crashing on you.

Does anyone else have this opinion ? I'd like to know, because, I'm leaning this way in regard to buying a multi unit; have nothing at this time and starting to shop around.

Avery
Radar and chart plotting are two functions that are of greatest benefit when combined. There is nothing short of your eye ball that can confirm your position better than seeing a radar overlay match up exactly with what you see on the chart plotter. If you have a hand held GPS of some type you have redundancy at least for the position plotting. I have been using a variety of Garmin GPS units since they came out with their first handheld and have never had a screen or GPS failure but I still have two backups to my fixed mount. My radar stopped sending a signal on the last trip if the season when bring the boat up to Rockport ME tovget hauled for the season. Did not affect the chart plotter. Just no overlay. Signal came back after turning it off and on.

If you don't need the radar either a stand alone or combi would work fine. I have found that speed depth and wind are far more pron e to failure not on the display side but by the sending unit. I doubt that the typical sending unit failure would disable a multi function display. As long as you have a backup GPS unit I would not let the fear of a failure drive the choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook