SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotyara View Post
HyLyte, could you provide some more details on the Cal vs Islander comparison? Was the Cal faster, steadier, easier to handle? These boats are pretty similar on paper, so anything you could add would help get the picture.

Alex---

Keep in mind that my "experience" was over 30 years ago so specific details are a bit out of reach. The Cal we sailed was out of Sausalito, near where we had our own boat at the (then) Marina Shipyard in down town Sausalito. The Islander was owned by my one-and-only's uncle and was berthed at the Berkeley Marina on the east side of the Bay. On both boats we sailed relatively similar tracks albeit with different starting points. Around Angel Island, out to the Bridge, back to SFYC, back over the Berkeley Circle and then home. For what it's worth, sailing across the Bay from the southwest end of Raccoon Straight to the south end of the Bridge near the Coast Guard station and than back along the shore to the City Front puts one in some fairly heavy winds, water. (Learning to sail in SF really does prepare one for relatively rough going).

N'any case, I just recall that the Islander seemed to labor quite a bit more in the conditions then did the Cal which just flew, especially so once we turned off the wind (Lapworth's hull/keel/rudder design). The Cal also seemed to handle better, in general, and was somewhat more forgiving of "sloppy" helming than was the Islander. Of course, once moored up at Ayala Cove, the Islander was more "shippy" than the Cal, particularly with basket weave cabinet fronts and polished brass oil lamps in the "salon" while we sipped Irish Coffee (verses Dos XX's and Taco Chips).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook