SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Lowering. Easy, just stand in the middle and hold both lines.

Raising. Side to side. Really, it would be a lot of weight to do at once, which would mean more tackle and more friction, or winches.... and not easier. Because the blocks swivel and have cam cleats, I don't have to walk side to side, only pull right, pull left, pull right.... And there's no harm in lefting a few feet at a time.

As everyone has suggested, a 6:1 tackle and cam cleats is the way to go. So easy my girl could manage it when she was 13.

Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits
Thanks for the mention of checking the Harken site for the 90-degree reeving of the 6:1 tackle. I upgraded from 4:1 to 6:1 when I change to a 15Hp outboard on our 3.1m RIB, and however I rigged it (same as all the other boats I saw with triple blocks), there was always a high-friction crossover.

One caveat: the Harken drawing looks wrong on the webpage,

Harken Reeving Diagrams

(the line on the becket crosses in front two others), but clicking "print version"

http://www.harken.com/pdf/6-1_reeving-diagram.pdf

gives a much clearer and correct view.

Oh, and I also hoist from the center, alternating sides. I can start pulling both lines together, but once the aft end is out of water, no way.

Last edited by redline; 11-01-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: vote for alternating sides
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook