SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-01-2012
Re: Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?

Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Lowering. Easy, just stand in the middle and hold both lines.

Raising. Side to side. Really, it would be a lot of weight to do at once, which would mean more tackle and more friction, or winches.... and not easier. Because the blocks swivel and have cam cleats, I don't have to walk side to side, only pull right, pull left, pull right.... And there's no harm in lefting a few feet at a time.

As everyone has suggested, a 6:1 tackle and cam cleats is the way to go. So easy my girl could manage it when she was 13.

Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits
Thanks for the mention of checking the Harken site for the 90-degree reeving of the 6:1 tackle. I upgraded from 4:1 to 6:1 when I change to a 15Hp outboard on our 3.1m RIB, and however I rigged it (same as all the other boats I saw with triple blocks), there was always a high-friction crossover.

One caveat: the Harken drawing looks wrong on the webpage,

Harken Reeving Diagrams

(the line on the becket crosses in front two others), but clicking "print version"

gives a much clearer and correct view.

Oh, and I also hoist from the center, alternating sides. I can start pulling both lines together, but once the aft end is out of water, no way.

s/y "Redline"
1998 Jeanneau SO45.2

Last edited by redline; 11-01-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: vote for alternating sides
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome