SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Some here have made reference to the fact that the HMS Bounty was built for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty" and speculated that the vessel may have been a 'movie prop' and, therefore, less than seaworthy. The HMS Bounty was built by Smith & Rhuland in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Smith & Rhuland were commercial shipbuilders from 1900 until 1967, launching over 250 hulls including, tugs, ferries, minesweepers, cargo vessels, yachts, and Grand Banks schooners (including the Bluenose and the Bluenose II). They didn't build movie props; everything launched from their slip was solid & seaworthy.

Apparently quite a bit of work was done over the last 10 years (mostly in Maine yards), including re-planking the hull, replacing and rebuilding main engines and generators and some new spars. That said, I can't comment on the condition of the HMS Bounty as she sailed on her last voyage. Any wooden boat owner will tell you it is a continuous cycle of maintenance. I, for one, will wait until the report of the investigation comes out (at least a few months, I am guessing) before speculating on the root causes of this tragedy.
A sail boat or any boat is built by a builder following a specification list. This was a boat that was meant to be used on a single movie and burned at the end of the movie. I am quite sure the specification list take well in consideration that this was just a boat that should last some months and not a boat to endure many storms and many years of sailing.

The price of building a boat with the specifications needed to stay together during some months would be very different of one that was built to stay afloat a lifetime so I am pretty sure the specifications would take that into consideration. Movies are run on a tight budget

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook