SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Engine Panel Design
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom Engine Panel Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by akavishon View Post
ASDF - is there a reason why the buzzer needs to be mounted on the panel? I'm thinking it may be possible to simplify / save some panel space, and the buzzer would likely be very audible even if hidden behind the panel ...

Also, really like the idea to put the panel behind an opening port ... I hope to get to my own panel replacement project some day, but have not really started design/planning.
No, and that's an area I want to think about more. But by default I left it there because it needs to be audible. I also have no leads on better components than the existing yanmar buzzer right now. So it's the only component I plan on keeping. There's also a small advantage to having the familiar yanmar buzz - I'm not always going to be the user here. Sometimes marina staff etc need to run the boat.

If I make a latching cover then the buzzer is already going to be behind something, this will protect it but diminish the sound a bit already. Moving it further behind the panel itself and it will be even less audible. But maybe that's fine. Engine noise sure doesn't have a hard time escaping through the fiberglass. Another factor is space. Right now my mockup shows there is enough space but if that changes it's more reason to move it back.

Yeah the port idea is great. I'll actually look into that because my cover plans essentially replicate a port. I think that the space I'm working with is so small that I can do better with a custom design but it's certainly a good idea.

All the suggestions have been helpful so far. I'm trying to plan this as well as possible. The nice thing about this project is that I can do it all at home/computer which gives me tons more time to plan it than the usual at the boat projects.

Redline, yeah my first boat maintenance after I bought this was replacing the key switch. The original yanmar had corded away. I don't think most key switches are really up for the task of being in this environment. Looking at mcmsaster I'm not totally impressed. I like this right now for latching the cover but wish it were entirely stainless without the nickel plated steel cams
Weather Resistant Cam Lock