SailNet Community - View Single Post - who had right away?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: who had right away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Tend to? More like, almost always. Why? Because no one has "right of way" in this situation (and certainly not "right away").

There is a "give-way" vessel, and there is a "stand-on" vessel, but in the end BOTH have the responsibility to avoid a collision. If you "stand-on" all the way into a collision, when you could have done something to avoid it, then you are just as much at fault as the "give-way" vessel that didn't.

I think that too many people believe this is like driving a car, and that if they have "right of way" then any accident that happens is going to be considered the other guy's fault. Nope. Doesn't work that way. Not even close.
AMEN!!!

When ever I hear someone use the term "Right of Way" as related to boats I immediately assume, perhaps incorrectly, that he/she has no clue as to the COLREGS...

They may, have a clue, I just automatically jump to "stupid is as stupid does" when I hear those three words abrading my ears........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook