SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Ironically, all the boats who hauled out for the storm in the north nj area wound up getting damaged, while those who stayed in slips or at anchor/mooring largely did fine. Liberty landing floating docks came within a foot of going over the pilings, and many of the docks at across the canal at liberty harbor did in fact rise over the pulings but although the docks were destroyed, most boats seemed ok. Storm surge floated the hauled out boats off their stands, here's some pics, at liberty landing but other than major scratching most looked OK. Same thing happened at Raritan yacht club, however they are less protected, being right on the bay, so the surge combined with waves dominoes, then stacked the boats against a cliff and pounded them to bits so I hear. I have a friend who wanted to pay to get his boat into liberty landing, but wouldn't on principle because he thought they were overcharging for storm haulouts. He wound up securing his Catalina 27 to a dinghy dock mooring in a little cove at liberty state park. It rode out the storm OK, even though the surge turned the cove into open water. I saw it the next day, bobbing viciously buy OK. He had reinforced his bow cleats with backing plates I should mention. verdict from this storm seems to be that boats are meant to float, and hauling out on land can often be more dangerous than staying in the water.

Anyway, posting from a cell phone cuz I still don't have power...

Those photos are exactly why I say, and will continue to say, over and over "give me my mooring in a hurricane or Nor'Easter any day of the week vs. a dock or dry land." .... Those pics hurt to see..

Our boat came through without a scratch but we only saw 55-60 but mostly steady 35-45. Seen more in Nor'Easters.. That said I feel for the folks in NY & NJ and it looks there like it did up here in the Blizzard of 1978 when our house was floated clean off its foundation....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook