SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Ironically, all the boats who hauled out for the storm in the north nj area wound up getting damaged, while those who stayed in slips or at anchor/mooring largely did fine. ... verdict from this storm seems to be that boats are meant to float, and hauling out on land can often be more dangerous than staying in the water.
Thanks for sharing, and reaffirming my hypothesis that a boat with a mast is better protected in the water, than on the hard. If you can imagine the force of 90 MPH winds on your spars and rigging, and factor in the leverage that the length of the mast provides, versus the support over a relatively small angle of heel that is supported by the stands (at what angle of heel does the boat reach the point of instability on the stands?) and you can see why I preferred that my boat remain in the water (now if I could only find a mooring).

Those pictures, and the pics coming out of NJ, make me very sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook