SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Given that (a) the aerial pic of Bounty half-submerged appears to show at least the main topmast snapped off and (b) the "abandon ship" call apparently happened in the dark.. maybe the topmast went overside and punched a hole in the hull before it could be cut away in time??...

Sheer speculation on my part, but I've read that exactly that scenario caused the loss of many ships during the 18th and 19th centuries. In the wrong place, in the dark and in heavy seas, a hole that large could overwhelm the pumps and kill engine electrics before the crew could do anything about it.

EDIT: They probably hauled the topmasts down before leaving port, so ignore the above.

I think you could be right about the mast breaking. From the pics it looks like the three mast broke as well as the bow sprint. Can imagine what would have done all that damage.

Do the crew going aloft normally wear a harness? From pic looks like some do and some don't.

Also, maybe water came in through the windows on sides and stern of ship. Did they have a method to cover these during rough weather?

The other thing I find interesting, even with the ship totally swamped, she still is floating. For the original square riggers, would they have not been heavily balasted such that if swamped, they would completely sink? Was this ship properly ballasted?

FYI:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...7A21&first=192
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (97.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg bilde.jpg (42.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg p5.jpg (98.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg p6.jpg (98.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by casey1999; 11-01-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook