SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
The original Bounty had a crew of 44 officers and men this version had 16.
The original Bounty was a Royal Navy ship and as such her officers had started out as midshipmen in their young teens and had sailed these ships in all kinds of conditions and all sorts of weather. The same was true of the petty officers. While the crews usually had at least a leavening of experienced sailors.

The Bounty was not a sailboat, she was a full-rigged sailing ship. She handled in a very different manner from the vessels we sail, especially in extreme conditions. With all due respect to this captain and crew there is no way they could have had the experience necessary to sail the Bounty through Sandy.
I suspect that the plan was to motor until they were past the storm and then motorsail. I have no idea how the Bounty would handle under power especially with no press of canvas to provide some stability.
We don't know why the Bounty started taking on a lot of water.We also don't know whether the rising water drowned the engines and the generator or whether power was lost for some other reason. In either xase the ship was doomed.
So again why was the Bounty out there in the first place.
I guess it is one of the best posts if not the best on this thread.

I think that the lost of this boat and Concordia should raise some questions about the way these ships are administrated, the minimum requirements in what regards the number and qualification of the crews and mandatory regular inspections in what regards the condition of the ships. Very old wooden ships should have very frequent mandatory inspections.

What you say about the crew and the comparison of a high professional and seasoned 44 crew with a skeleton crew of semi-amateur sailors is obvious. It seems that the only true professional on that boat was the Captain.

I don't know if that was relevant for the accident but I know that the conditions that the boat faced would not be fatal for a well manned ship of that type. I don't know if the number and quality of the crew contributed to the accident or if the boat was just not in condition to take that kind of punishment and made too much water.

In any of the cases the Captain should know that his crew was not up to face really bad weather in that ship or that the ship was not in conditions to endure bad weather. In any of the cases it should have stayed in Port.

"But as the search enters its fourth day, persistent questions arise about why the captain put a small, mostly greenhorn crew into the treacherous waters off Cape Hatteras, N.C., within reach of a hurricane"...

In the 18th century, the original Bounty’s full crew would have hoisted smaller storm sails to keep the ship plowing in one direction. But that didn’t happen as things began to go wrong on Sunday, including the reported loss of diesel power.

Powerless, “that ship would have been careening on all three axes and it’s possible that a hole opened up, a plank loosened up, and once she lost power there’s no chance to get storm sails up and manage them with just 16 people on board – remember, the original Bounty had a crew of 100,” says Mr. Mercogliano.

Many questions, few answers about loss of HMS Bounty to hurricane Sandy - CSMonitor.com

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook