SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halloween Hurricane
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Halloween Hurricane

I have put a question into my insurance carrier for future reference. My policy is clear. There must be a tropical storm warning, or above, in effect at the time I haul out for coverage to apply. Coverage is half the haul out charges.

In practice, what I've found, is the carriers have been willing to pay anyway, because they know it was in their best interest to encourage you to do so. It was either in Irene, or maybe Earl the year before, they sent me a letter asking me to acknowledge that they did not have to pay under the terms over coverage, but would anyway. I never got a clear answer as to why they needed this. In fact, there was a tropical storm warning in effect when I hauled, so I refused to sign it. They paid, but it certainly left me with the impression that they can and would deny coverage on technical grounds, if they felt it was in their best interest.

In RI, we most certainly did get tropical storm force winds, but I do not recall there being a warning. It was clear we would expect this level of wind and I pulled for the winter, regardless. I'm not making a claim, but wonder what they would do.

If the NHC isn't going to call something with 74 knot winds a hurricane in the future, this could be an issue. I will let you know what they say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook