SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Darwin awards
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Had I not been there, the lines holding my boat to the piers would have at first been ok, because there were two blowout tides followed by two tides with a surge of 3 feet. In addition the wind shift 270 degrees in the course of the 42 hours. I was able to prevent chafing on three of my 14 lines by shifting the chafe gaurds i was using. The range on my lines was as much as 5 ft through the chocks and my material is only 2+ ft long. My determination is that had I not been there my boat would have been damage as were some in my club which we could not get to during the storm.

Staying or evacuating was determined by the hour by hour conditions. If at anytime there was a shift in the conditions which would have placed me on the north side of the eye area I would have come off the boat to the clubhouse which was 18 ft above the level of the Creek. In no way was I in imminent danger unless something catestrophic happened, which could also have happened had I been on land also. Unbeknownst to me 3 blocks away a man was killed sitting in his living room when a tree fell into his house and crushed him. At least I was not under any trees.

Staying or leaving is an assessemnt of the conditions and data where you are as well as experience of the individual. No blanket statement can be made that its better to stay or go. To make such a generalization is not reasonable. That is left up for the indivdual to choose. There was no evacuation in my area.

It appears the death toll is already over 80. I have not heard of any individual who has perished on their boat. The exception is the HMS Bounty where your current cast of internet Sailnet Experts are trying to affix blame and determine how it happened from the comfort of their computer desks under the guise of a "learning lesson" orteaching experience. God rest those poor peoples souls.

So the rest of the dead appear to have been caused by falling debris of some kind. By your reasoning all people should have fled inland 200 miles to a non tree filled area whwre there were no bodies of water.

Situations like this are fluid and best decided by the indivduals who are in ivolved in them rather than some group think internet pundits. BUt after all this is the internet and everyone gets and opinion...even me,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook