SailNet Community - View Single Post - Custom Engine Panel Design
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom Engine Panel Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
asdf38

Great thread, while I am not interested in "re-building" my panel I have often thought about moving it and making it more water proof.
Reason for moving it being; I find the cockpit sole space under the tiller/aft of the cockpit drains to be dead space(like asdf38 I own a contessa 26). I am considering filling the space with a "home-made" fiberglass box for storage that fits the space. The panel, as it is currently mounted, gets in the way where this idea is concerned.

John
I've thought about the same thing. But I just don't see a significantly beter spot for the panel - I like the fact that it's in accessible but unused space. So for storage perhaps a smaller box or canvas organizer or something would work. Or something spanning the whole back "seat" in the cockpit.

If you do one I'd love to see it. The only time that back space in the cockpit is nice is if you lie down - there is a full 6'+. Otherwise it's under the tiller and generally not useful. The PO put the connector for the auto-helm smack in the middle of the stern locker/seat indicating how often they used that space and it hasn't been an issue for me either. Trivia: The British contessa cockpit stops where our engine panel is now and it has a much larger stern deck.

The cockpit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0927 small.jpg (47.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by asdf38; 11-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook