SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gibsea 43' Rudder Rebuild/Replace Help
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Gibsea 43' Rudder Rebuild/Replace Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant64 View Post
I have a rudder that is leaking water at the seam both on the bevelled leading edge and also on the blunt squared edge at back of rudder above the water line. I plan to glass them over and am okay with that. Not clear on what happens next once glass is shaped and hardened in place. Do I now need a gel coat covering or do I simply paint to match the rest of the rudder?

Also - I am comcerned about condition of core rudder. After reading about rudder repair I am concerned about condition of core and what happens if I don't cut it open to check it out. Could rudder fail?- I sail a 27' Tanzer. Does anyone know what the core is ( wood or foam).
If it's leaking water, at a minimum I'd drill some holes in the bottom to ensure it's fully drained. If you don't want to cut it open, at least capture the water and check to see if it's rusty looking.

As for refinishing, plug the drill holes with thickened epoxy, coat it with glass and epoxy resin, thoroughly sealing all seams and then coat it with Interprotect and bottom paint. Gelcoat is not necessary.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook