SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First Sailboat Bristol 22 Columbia 22 CC24

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PaulinVictoria 
#1 ·
B22 LWL 19.5 SA/D 16.36 D/L 171.59 D/B 2850/1150 40.37% Dr 3.5
C22 LWL 20.08 SA/D 22 D/L 121.31 D/B 2200/1100 50% Dr 3.17
CC24 LWL 19.5 SA/D 18.62 D/L 192.66 D/B 3200/1452 32.78% Dr 4

Bristol 22, Columbia 22, C&C 24.

Hello. My name is James, 30 year old, looking to purchase my first sailboat. I will be sailing the Chesapeake; home port of Baltimore. My sailing experience is limited to a week long bareboat cruising course aboard a Colgate 26 and Beneteau 434 a few years ago. I'm finally ready to get some real time on the water. Next summer I plan on taking 3 months and sailing as much as I can to gain the experience and confidence to charter and eventually go cruising if I ever make it to retirement. I'm looking for a weekender; something I can camp on for a week, come home a few days shore leave, and back out again. I will be single-handed except the occasional day sail with friends/family.

Like any good armchair sailor I've been reading and surfing the web narrowing my search for my first boat. I figure I'll be happy with which ever boat I decide to purchase and eventually I'll be moving on to a different boat. The Columbia 22 really stands out as far as numbers are concerned. She seems to have more sail power and a longer LWL. The draft is shallow which means I may be able to get into a gunkhole or two easier but it also means the ballast is closer to the hull although the D/B ratio seems favorable. I do wonder if she will heel more and if it will make learning harder or better for me as a more responsive boat.

I also figure there will be some restoration no matter which boat I choose. After flipping through the book This Old Boat I'm actually excited about the restoration process.

What are your thoughts about the boats I've listed? What are some things about these boats the numbers aren't telling me? Any wisdom for a new sailor starting out?

Also if you're on the Chesapeake and need a crew member drop me a line; although it is a bit cold this time of year. I hope Sandy was good to all of you.

See less See more
#2 ·
The C&C will probably be the best performing boat but the shallower draft of the Columbia will probably work better on the Chessie.

For performance comparison, the Bristol PHRF is 288, the Columbia is 264 and the C&C is 228 - that's a minute a mile faster than the Bristol and more than 1/2 minute a mile faster than the Columbia. A minute a mile is a lot on a sailboat - you get there 1/2 hour earlier on a 30 mile trip. You have the boat put to bed and are on your second drink before the slower boat arrives. :D

I don't think you could go far wrong with any of them though - I'd go with the one you like best, the one that feels right to you when you are aboard.

#3 ·
Jedcof,

I keep my boat in Roc Creek at the end of the Patapsco at the Mayland Yacht Club. She is a C&C 35 MKIII with a draft of 4'6" to 7' as she is a keel/ centerboard. The difference in draft of the boats you are looking at shouldnt concern you as you will be able to go almost anwhere on the Chessie with 4 ft. We do with 4'6" board up.

SloopJonB is coorect that the C&C will perform better than the other two and also provide you with a little more speace for weekending. It will definately point better into the wind than either of the two others. C&C build is also good, so are the others. make sure its in good condition and get it surveyed if you can. If you would like someone to look at it drop me a PM and I would be glad to.

Some thin gs are restoration...some are critical neglect disqualifiers.

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.