SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Anchored in Sassafras River

Chesapeake City,MD. turned out to be a good place to hole-up for the Sandy event. And the people there could not be nicer and more accomidating. Offering rides to local stores,use of vehicles, even free dockage from the town !
The electric and/or water is available for a small fee, $15 for Elec. and $10 for water, A deal considering the dockage is free. And considering the time of year and the impending weather , it was a welcomed spot.
However after 5 days waiting at anchor and the dock in the cool weather it was way past time to move on in my opinion.
So , on the high tide we set out south with a forcast West wind of 10-15. Entering the C&D with the current against the west wind resulted in the usual 1'-2' chop and confused sea in the canal and it worsended to 1-3' with breaking waves , so after 5 hours of motoring into the wind (which I deplore) we turned east , hoisted the sails, turned off the diesel and sailed up the Sassafras to a very protected spot I have used in the past.
It's on the north side of the river back up in a shallow area 4-6' there is a campground near and alledgedly an historic plantation. Though I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where that is even looking on mapquest , there are no signs on the water.
So , up early , start a fire in the wood stove to take off the chill and consider what to do today as the forcast is 10-20 w/ 30 gusts from the west for the day.
I prefer to sail not motor so I may wait until tommorrow for the NE winds before continuing south
we'll see how it looks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook