SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
post #81 of Old 11-02-2012 Thread Starter
joethecobbler
cruising all I can

Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Anchored in Sassafras River

Chesapeake City,MD. turned out to be a good place to hole-up for the Sandy event. And the people there could not be nicer and more accomidating. Offering rides to local stores,use of vehicles, even free dockage from the town !
The electric and/or water is available for a small fee, $15 for Elec. and $10 for water, A deal considering the dockage is free. And considering the time of year and the impending weather , it was a welcomed spot.
However after 5 days waiting at anchor and the dock in the cool weather it was way past time to move on in my opinion.
So , on the high tide we set out south with a forcast West wind of 10-15. Entering the C&D with the current against the west wind resulted in the usual 1'-2' chop and confused sea in the canal and it worsended to 1-3' with breaking waves , so after 5 hours of motoring into the wind (which I deplore) we turned east , hoisted the sails, turned off the diesel and sailed up the Sassafras to a very protected spot I have used in the past.
It's on the north side of the river back up in a shallow area 4-6' there is a campground near and alledgedly an historic plantation. Though I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where that is even looking on mapquest , there are no signs on the water.
So , up early , start a fire in the wood stove to take off the chill and consider what to do today as the forcast is 10-20 w/ 30 gusts from the west for the day.
I prefer to sail not motor so I may wait until tommorrow for the NE winds before continuing south
we'll see how it looks.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome