SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Now they both look way to big for anything I'd want or need and they are by no means classically beautiful but I like the look of both of them. Certainly they both look to be of great character, not to mention individual.

Presumably very modern below the waterline, though hopefully not equipped with one of those awful torpedo keels.
Hi, Andrews,

Well, it seems that you were the only one that find those boats sufficiently interesting to deserve a comment.

I don't know the boats or the designers. They are obviously one offs and the first one seems to have some years while the last one seems brand new, The first one (two masts) has a very unusual expensive rig that it makes a lot of sense to me in what regards sailing on a big boat with a very short crew. Its design seems to be Dutch.

The second one, obviously an aluminium one is almost for sure a French design. It looks very modern, fast and can even be a centerboarder.

If someone knows of anything more about those boats I would be interested.

In what regards torpedo keels they may not look well to you but there are a good reason for their use: efficiency. On a 40ft boat like yours (Malo 40), with an all lead keel they can save almost half a ton of weight for the same effect. Weight is not a good thing in any sailboat even if you seem to think otherwise

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook