SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
.. The conditions were such that a reasonably prudent professional captain would not have set out to sea in that particular boat at that time. If I were plaintiff's counsel, I would replay the YouTube video portion at 10 minutes 40 seconds as many times as humanely possible, where the "captain" explains how he chases hurricanes.

It's nice that some of you are so sweet and forgiving, but a young woman died as a result of extremely poor decision making by someone in charge of a boat. A captain of a boat is responsible for his crew, period, end of story. This was not an act of god, it was an act of pure stupidity and recklessness.

If you have read the posts on the listerv long enough, you will already have realized there is no shortage of fools who take to the sea as an escape. Do not risk your life on someone who does not demonstrate common sense and sound judgment.

I am beginning to see a pattern on the listserv. After every major storm, we do a play by play on some jackass who decides to leave port immediately prior to the arrival of the storm. Who is going to be next unfortunate victim?
I was really shocked with what this Captain says on that video. I knew several Captains that worked on the white fleet, the last sail fishing ships and they all had a natural reverence about the sea power and all feared bad weather. They were no cowards, just men used to earn their lives sailing on one of the nastiest seas (Greenland and Newfound land).

Their views about the sea and seamanship strongly contrasts with the ones expressed by Bounty's Captain.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook