SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat: Solaris 42

I post many types of boats that please many different sailors. I find them interesting and may beautiful but there are few that I like to own. This is one of those.

What a beautiful sailboat! Well some would say it is expensive but it costs not more than a HR for a similar quality, has a great interior and gives 2 times the sailing pleasure. I know, I know, some just like to cruise and want a sailboat that does the job with the least of sensations and max efficiency. Ok, ot is comprehensibly and makes sense...to some, I am not one of them

They say about the boat:

For over 35 years Solaris has been creating yachts with the same philosophy, designed and built to navigate safely for many years…

Design of the waterlines is entrusted to Soto Acebal, one of the world’s best naval architects, Ensuring excellent performance thanks to modern hull shapes and volumes designed for speed, stability and righting moment.

The main feature of this new 42’, planned and implemented during the design stage, is a particularly solid construction unaffected by deformation and torsion in all sea and wind conditions. For this reason the 42’, like all other Solaris models, boasts virtually unique reinforcing structures, that are very costly and not possible without labor-intensive techniques:

all the 40 mm thick composite bulkheads are laminated not only to the hull, but also and in particular to the deck without need of inner mouldings and silicone. …To further increase the structural stiffness all joinery is laminated to the hull. Moreover there is a structural continuity of the mast, main bulkhead, chainplates and keel attachment.
The 42’, thanks to a precise distribution of weight and ballast, shows reduced pitch and roll ensuring smooth sailing through the waves; the boat is perfectly balanced and light at the wheels, ensuring, safe, fast and enjoyable whelming...

The new 42’ is consistent with the philosophy that has always distinguished Solaris: building yachts for people who really go to sea and who appreciate: structural strength, stiffness and rigidity, combined with excellent performance in real time. All these are the real essence of seaworthiness.

Technicalcharacteristics Solaris One 42’
Loa 12.36 m
Beam 3.99 m
Draft 2.25/2.50/
Displacement 8.8t
Ballast 3.00 t
Mainsal 52 m2
Genoa (108%) 45 m2
Engine (Volvo Penta)40/55 hp
Fuel 220 l
Water 350 l
Designer Javier Soto Acebal
Interior design Lucio Micheletti

And I would say that this boat offers a moderated beam in what concerns modern tendencies (considerably lesser than most mass production 40ft cruisers) a modern hull with beam brought back (but nor really on the waterline), an highly efficient torpedo keel and an acceptable draft for cruising (2.25) while being enough to give a good performance to the ballast without the need of increasing it too much to compensate a lesser draft.

And with that high efficiency keel and considerable draft this boat has a a B/D of 34%. A stiff boat no doubt,

Not being an ultra light boat its weight is smaller than many mass production 40fts while having a sail area that will put it on the side of the more conservative performance cruisers.

A great boat, I am sure

I hope to see one on the Dusseldorf boat show. This one was presented in Hamburg.

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook