SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Chef, I don't agree that this is a lynch mob a la some of the Treyvon Martin discussion.

There seems to be enough clear fact here to condemn the captains decisions in putting to sea. Setting sail in an old square rigger, with an untrained crew that would have been undersized if they WERE trained, and then heading towards a hurricane, hoping to dodge it doesn't meet my criteria for good seamanship or even basic judgement.

Think about this - suppose Sandy HAD stayed well offshore - that would have put the Bounty in or near the "safe" quadrant of the storm at which point the high winds would have been blowing against the Gulf Stream with consequent NASTY effect on sea state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook