SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
May be or may be NOT. I think our society have become a whining society. No one is willing to take responsibility for oneself. We have lost our spirits of self-reliance.
I hope this is going to be different. Remember that the reason of the inquery is not to find if the Captain took or not bad decisions : "Coast Guard investigations of marine casualties and accidents are for the purpose of taking appropriate measures for promoting safety of life and property and are not intended to fix civil or criminal responsibility".

Remember that have been several accidents with tall ships and the public demands measures to be taken in what regards safety. If they don't propose measures to control the risks of sailing on those ships, and remember these ships take public and teenagers to sail, next time a accident happens it will be said that was because they had sit and watch, doing nothing.

I think many things can be purposed: a sensible minimum crew requirement for each boat, a minimum sailing qualification on these type of ships for each crew member, regular and very frequent inspections for old boats and so on.

Also in what regards wooden boats it makes all sense to have a permanent naval carpenter as part of the crew. When ships were made of wood the carpenter was an indispensable member of the crew and the one that advised the captain what the boat could endure and when was time to stop sailing and take defensive measures. He could also made emergency repairs and the ship had aboard material for that.

The crew on the original Bounty had not only a master carpenter as also two other auxiliary to take care of any emergency.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook