SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding

For interior partitions, I never pay the price for marine ply - use good quality exterior ply and seal the edges with epoxy. Few, if any production builder use marine ply. In fact few, if any of them even seal the edges. Birch faces take paint much better than fir faces.

If you need to make cleat stock for setting ply against, the Gougeons had a neat trick - make them triangular instead of square or rectangular - you get the same mounting surfaces for 1/2 the weight. It makes the interior spaces a little neater as well.

Use white oak or good Douglas Fir in cases where you need lots of strength and/or high holding power for fasteners.

Use cedar if less strength is required - it weighs a LOT less. Yellow cedar is a great boatbuilding wood but can be unpleasant to use - I find I quickly get nauseous when I cut a lot of it. Any splinters quickly fester as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook