SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotyara View Post
LOL, wrote this yesterday, but forgot to hit the send button

Hylyte, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much set on the Cal at this point, but it's still nice to know it'll be the steadier of the two. Looking forward to the summer winds on the bay

James, I'm not really expecting to win any races, especially singlehanded, I just find that a healthy amount of competition keeps my interest level up and provides a useful checkpoint on how I'm progressing. The point is to improve, not necessarily win (although that would be the icing on the cake of course

There's the Singlehanded Sailing Society on the SF Bay that runs several races each year and I intend to take part in some of the shorter ones next year. All sorts of boats compete there, from Olsons to Tritons, including 3 other Cal 2-27s, so I should be in good company.

Thanks for the vote for the Pearson (nice video!). I've been oscillating between it and the Cal, but conditioning and hardware, and the fact that Pearson is longer and heavier for the same PHRF rating (NCPHRF has both at 198, it's on YRA site, can't post links yet), made the difference.

I hear you on the inboard. In fact I've heard many similar opinions. To that end, I've decided to go for the electric conversion, so the outboard is just an interim measure. I'm a techie, so I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to do a good job of it.

Cheers,
Alex.
Alex--

Reserve judgment on the outboard verses inboard debate until you have sailed the yacht for awhile. The inboard has it's merits, but also adds complications, and costs, that one doesn't have with an outboard. One could, in theory, use an electric drive with a Cal, but I suspect you'll find it's really more of a project than the yacht merits/needs.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook