SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder damage - urgent advice needed
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Rudder damage - urgent advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant64 View Post
TTo Smurphny: I really didn't understand SinonV's directions ( "day one lift and cut back the damage to sound material feather glass for new lay up") so I will go to West System website. What does 12:1 feather mean? How many layers do I need?
12:1 "feather" simply means to grind it back on a taper - like scarfing two pieces of wood together. The taper gives a stronger bonding surface. The first layer of glass should cover right out to the edge of the taper and subsequent layers each get smaller until you have the required thickness. Sort of like a topographical map if you will. The number of layers depends on how many it takes to bring the surface up to where it needs to be. That varies depending on how thick the original glass is, the weight of fabric you are using for the repair and so forth.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook