SailNet Community - View Single Post - MOB systems
Thread: MOB systems
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: MOB systems

It is similar to the quick stop but the MOB I was taught in my Intermediate Cruising course was to immediately heave to. Once hove to release the wheel / tiller in short bursts to make a circle, coming up below the MOB.

I did this in the middle of Virgin Gorda Sound in a driving rain that hurt my face. It was much easier than putzing around with the figure 8 that we had been taught in the basic course.

I can attest to the effects of cold water. In late 80's I took my dinghy course (then called White Sail) on the Ottawa River in May. Part of the course was flipping our Albacores or Lasers and righting them. The week before that particular lesson one of my boat mates took out a laser while the other student and I rigged the Albacore. AS we launched from shore we watched the laser flip, get righted, flip again, right again and finally go down for a 3rd time. The team learning to man the rescue boat (this was a co-op type sailing club) could not get the engine started so we sailed over. The instructor asked the guy in the water if he needed help. "yyyyyyyesss" was the faint reply. The instructor told us that one of us had to jump in so I volunteered. I was wearing jeans, my white shirt from work, a fishermans knit sweater, a shell and my life jacket. As I hit the water my heart and breathing stopped for about 30 seconds it was so cold. I helped right the laser and then held on to one side while he crawled in the other. I swam back to the Albacore but I had no strength left in my arms. From the water the Albacore looks about 8 feet up. The instructor and the 3rd student grabbed my life jacket and hauled me up. I had been in the water a total of 10 minutes max and I was wiped out. We still had our lesson and then burgers and beer after. My nuts have only recently reappeared. I have supreme respect for cold water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook