SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding

You have the Eye, I don't, could not spell " Sailboat" before the 20th of Oct. (dumb joke on me) the day I was the high bidder on Ebay.

I did not look there... that carefully in ref. to the bottom of the mast well. I did notice the the wood area there was not rotten nor showed staining by water being in this area.
I did see that the -- bottom of the mast had specks of rust (?) and metal was thinned by touching it. I did not see the heavy signs of corrosion and white stuff in the base of the mast.

Now, Deteriorated Mast Step Issue. I assume that the -- Male Receiver at the base may be Deteriorated. I did not spend anytime looking at this area (carefully). Tomorrow, I will get a bright light and check it out and take better pictures. I do not have a knowledge base at all. This is the reason I keep repeating all this stuff here. It drives me crazy to write what I see, what my plans are... but looking to be corrected... if I'm wrong... so please bear with me.

To Everyone, Thanks for Taking the Time to Help me, I do (really) Appreciate It !

P.S. I do have experience in other areas (cnt. me if you need help) -- diesel & gas eng. building, FAA mech., airplanes & helicopters & 9,0XX hr. pilot, truck & hvy. equip. & trucking 48 states; but Not-aa' on sailboats. I got the Sailing Bug in 1983 when I was
assigned there for six months; I stayed there... right after our little skirmish that we had with the Cubains (Oct., 83).

So, I'm trying to live my dream... to sail out of FL and range our further & further. I want to make one long range trip to Grenada & return. I'm guessing, this trip will not happen until 2014 but one step at a time. So, I have the I-37 and it needs some work, I'm up for the task. Good Stuff -- the engine and trans. were just done and a lot of other work ($ 20K) by the former owner. I think, $ 10 to $15 K will get me seaworthy again. I need to buy good used equipment (mostly). I will not be able to use the boat for more than 3 to 5 + years (health issues closing in on me). I included this part for SNet members to pvt. email with gear they have for sale. My hot list & buy now -- 1 storm anchor (Munson supreme or like w/ chain & hvy. line; day to day modern anchor about 44 lbs. w/ chain & 9/16 line or little bigger. I will have to fix or replace my rudder and I37's are scarce and will not find a good one in the salvage yard. My DC Breaker Panel is (mostly) is fried, I moved all the breakers today and about 1/2 of them were really soft and felt bad. One does not buy old DC breaker panels for replacement, I would buy one that was bought and never installed. Mine has about 40 breakers, not sure of the total amp rating. I have a lot of cleaning & painting to do. I'm looking for top brand name stuff i.e. Varnish from/ by: Schooners; Efifanes; Flagship, Captains (Z-Spar) and Awlspar. The bottom paint will go on in May, need good stuff. The top side is chalky and needs done, so looking for a deal on good stuff (only top shelf materials). I was looking at the Toe Rail and it looks like it's 42 YO. I think it's at the end of it's life. I probed it with a screw driver and it seemed real fragile, seemed soft too (deterioated wood). Replacing the toe rail with teak will be very time consuming and expensive $$ ?. I will get some more information and consider white oak or cypress as replacement wood over teak (my 1st guess for wood at this time). I have a want add listed here at SNet & best my best email -- arbakerjr@hotmail.com

I will be buying Electronic Gear in the March time frame or sooner if a great deal comes along.

Avery Baker
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook