SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
For Chef and WingnWing.

Check out this site. These guys really know what they are talking about. GCaptain apparently a site for maritime professionals, got some good reads in it.

HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy - Page 7
Some of the content on the first site, one for professional Captains:

The Idiot aboard ( I am somewhat reluctant to call him 'the Master') posted a pretty interesting note on Saturday.
It read something like this: " we are heading out, some would call this wrong. It is a calculated risk".

Well buck-o me thinks you have a different set of calculators than a prudent seaman! And for him to post such a dumb statement shows he was wrestling with the prudence of this decision and trying to justify it.

Another guy:
They sure are acting like they are reckless yachties. Not only did they put themselves in grave danger by trying to sail aroundp Cape Hatteras during a hurricane they will also be endangering the CG chopper crews who will have to go out and save them.

Another:
No I am sorry but a voyage of choice not necessity in an old ship into a storm of historic proportions? I don't care about hull condition or experience of the master or crew. We're experienced professionals here and don't need a USCG report to judge this one. If the ship is truly lost then it is a massive failure and if people are lost then it is manslaughter!

Another:
Michael Murray, a former crewmember on the Bounty, raises issues that may implicate the owner of the vessel:

I will say this about the Bounty... As memorable and as valuable of an experience it was to be an integral part of her first restoration as her bosun, I left the project a few weeks early along with several others because of the reckless decisions that were made by the owner at the time that put people at risk.

Namely, a decision to remove a 35x35 inch bowsprit that was rotting without the proper support left a 17 year old 3rd mate severely injured after he toppled over the headrail along with several others. I remember that nightmarish scenario like yesterday when I saw it all go down up on the foretop. That, most definitely, never needed to occur...

My guess is that Capt. Walbridge was overruled as to a decision to continue on with the voyage to St. Pete in the face of this monster storm. If that is truly the case, then it is indicative of a management condition, that unfortunately, has now finally resulted in such a majestic and endearing vessel to come to grief. Truly tragic in every sense of the word!

another:
This whole thing is totally tragic. So surreal watching this whole thing play out on GCaptain and internet blogs. Having made comments prior to the rescue attempt, I take solace that my negative comments towards the captain were made during the period that the HMS Bounty organisation reported ALL hands safely aboard liferafts. I wonder where they got there info. Let us at least respect the dead, for he is surely lost at sea. Obviously, mistakes were made, yet I find comments praising his death to be rather sickening. Anyone posting that his family should be happy of his death so he won't have to live in shame, should be ashamed of themselves. The man did have a wife, son , and daughter, and my heart truly goes out to them. I believe the scrutiny should now fall on the HMS ORGANISATIOn. I do agree, I hope all the insurance money goes to the deceased female crew's family. Someone who personally new Walbridge assured us here that the comments supposedly made by him on the Bounty site were my his words. Really curious to see how this one plays out now that scrutiny will now fall on the organisation!! The man was well intentioned.despite making a dire mistake, that hopefully only cost him his life. However, I would not be surprised to learn he went into the water after Claudene. Let's hope she makes it, I pray the reports of her dying at the hospital are false. A death at sea probably isn't nearly as romantic as books and movies make it out to be. At least the last stage of hypothermia you get drunk and happy, all things probably seem right in the world, when they are truly not.

Well, I am going to read the rest of it ...it is really interesting.

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook